This course, developed in conjunction with the experts from the Transportation Safety Institute (TSI) of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), looks at the motor carriers requirements for a Controlled Substances and Alcohol Use Testing Program. The course focuses on the key aspects of a regulation-compliant drug and alcohol testing program.
After taking this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the purpose of the Drug and Alcohol Use and Testing regulations
- State the prohibitions and consequences for the use of alcohol and controlled substances, including the role of the SAP in positive drug test results
- Outline the general procedures for testing, the six types of testing required, and the specific requirements for pre-employment testing
- List the specific requirements for random testing, post-accident testing, reasonable suspicion testing, return-to-duty testing, and follow-up testing
- Recognize the requirements for record retention and confidentiality, and for providing a drug and alcohol policy to employees.